An inquest will start today into the death of Summer Steer who swallowed a button battery in 2013.
An inquest will start today into the death of Summer Steer who swallowed a button battery in 2013. CONTRIBUTED

Summer's mum first to give evidence in battery death inquest

UPDATE 10AM: 

SUMMER Steer's mother, Andrea Shoesmith is likely to provide evidence fist in the coronial inquest into her daughter's death.

A composed Ms Shorsmith was flanked by a few close family members as she took her seat in the Maroochydore Court.

Andrea Shoesmith of Tewantin, whose daughter Summer died after swallowing a button battery, at a press conference at Noosa Marina for the Safety 4 Chrissy campaign highlighting the dangers of button batteries should children swallow them. Photo: Iain Curry / Sunshine Coast Daily
Andrea Shoesmith of Tewantin, whose daughter Summer died after swallowing a button battery, at a press conference at Noosa Marina for the Safety 4 Chrissy campaign highlighting the dangers of button batteries should children swallow them. Photo: Iain Curry / Sunshine Coast Daily Iain Curry

Coroner John Hutton is expected to hear evidence for two days as to the circumstances behind Summer's tragic death on June 30, 2013 after ingesting a button battery.

Mr Hutton will examine the cause of Summer's death, the adequacy of the clinical diagnosis and medical treatment as well as what measures can be taken to ensure it never happens again.

Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.
Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.

 

EARLIER: 

SUMMER Steer was the first child in Australia to die from swallowing a lithium battery.

A coronial inquest in the Maroochydore Magistrate's Court today will begin to explore what went wrong.

Little Summer, died on June 30,2013 after a "button" battery - no bigger than a five-cent piece - lodged in her oesophagus.

RELATED:

She was taken to Noosa Hospital three times with symptoms including a sore stomach, black bowel movements and a tempreture.

An x-ray later discovered the battery lodged in her throat and she was flown to a Brisbane hospital.

It was too late.  She went into a cardiac arrest and died.

Seven people are expected to testify in the inquest, including Summer's mum Andrea Shoesmith.

A pre-inquest hearing has revealed around 260 children swallow lithium batteries each year.



Future of Foster's Garage gets town talking

Future of Foster's Garage gets town talking

DA lodged for Foster's Garage sparks Bellingen speculation

Man taken into custody during Toormina incident

Man taken into custody during Toormina incident

Police situation at Toormina now resolved

Couple keep alive spirit of Anzac

Couple keep alive spirit of Anzac

Display of items from The Great War at Bellingen library

Local Partners