Kiely inquest resumes

IT'S a cold case which has intrigued Coffs Coast residents for decades and the next chapter unfolds today.

The inquest into the disappearance of Bellingen's Susan Maree Kiely resumes at Coffs Harbour Local Court today and is set down for three days.

Ms Kiely, a mother-of-two, was 33 when she went missing at Bellingen on December 1, 1989.

Her body has never been found and the cause of her death is shrouded in mystery.

Deputy State Coroner Scott Mitchell presided over an initial three-day probe in Coffs Harbour Coroner's Court in July but he adjourned the matter to this month.

He dropped a bombshell at the time by banning the publication of more evidence from the courtroom saga.

“I am ordering the prohibition of further publication of evidence in this matter,” Mr Mitchell said ahead of his return to Sydney.

“I want nothing published while my back is turned. I'm not going to be here, I'm away.

“I'm conscious we're part-heard and there's further evidence to come.”

Mr Mitchell also told the court some things had arisen and seemed to be arising which he thought required police to conduct further investigations.

Mr Mitchell made his order as Ms Kiely's former husband Robert Smith – a key figure who has so far not had legal representation at the inquest – took the witness stand.

The inquest has so far heard from 12 witnesses including friends and family of Ms Kiely and police investigators.



Those rainy day savers now suffering from drought

Those rainy day savers now suffering from drought

If you feel it's harder to save these days you're right on the money

Basins are holding back a deluge of floodwater

Basins are holding back a deluge of floodwater

Flood study for Coffs Creek catchment goes out for public review.

Local Partners