Vets were shocked when the owners of a five-month-old golden retriever rang them to say what they thought he’d swallowed whole.
Vets were shocked when the owners of a five-month-old golden retriever rang them to say what they thought he’d swallowed whole.

‘Incredible’ find in dog’s stomach

Adelaide vets have been shocked at finding a whole metal fork lodged in a pet dog's stomach.

"Never a dull moment in the ER ... we often get surprised too!," the Adelaide Animal Emergency & Referral Centre wrote on Facebook.

"Imagine getting the call: 'I think my dog ate a fork!'.

"A FORK you say? Really? Are you sure? Is it a plastic one? Or a metal one? A baby fork? Or a large Maxwell Williams one your in-laws bought as a wedding gift?

"Either way ... that's incredible, but an absolute emergency all in one, so you'd better bring him in."

Dustin is all better now. Picture: 7 News
Dustin is all better now. Picture: 7 News

When Dustin arrived at the centre vets discovered the five-month-old golden retriever had indeed swallowed a pronged piece of dinnerware whole.

They managed to remove it with an endoscope rather than having to resort to surgery, and shared a video of the procedure.

One woman on Facebook said the incident was a real eye-opener for other pet owners and a "slap of reality".

Never a dull moment in the ER.... we often get surprised too! Imagine getting the call: “I think my dog ate a fork!”...

Posted by Adelaide Animal Emergency & Referral Centre on Sunday, April 26, 2020

 

Dustin had swallowed a fork. Picture: Adelaide Animal Emergency & Referral Centre
Dustin had swallowed a fork. Picture: Adelaide Animal Emergency & Referral Centre

Another pet owner said it was typical of a golden retriever, with hers having to visit the vet annually for swallowing something.

"But never anything like a fork," she said.

Originally published as 'Incredible' find in dog's stomach



Police nab P-plate drink driver after tip off from public

Premium Content Police nab P-plate drink driver after tip off from public

High range drink-driver dobbed in by member of the public.

Vote leaves airport hotel on the cards

Premium Content Vote leaves airport hotel on the cards

Cr Paul Amos failed in his bid to rule it out.

Stay away from forests to allow for hazard reduction

Premium Content Stay away from forests to allow for hazard reduction

Hazard reduction will take place in the Wedding Bells State Forest this week.