Hunt for homeless man's killer takes police to dump
DETECTIVES are searching a rubbish tip in southern Sydney for clothing worn by the killers of homeless man Peter Hofmann, as friends and family spoke of their heartache this morning.
Eastern Beaches Superintendent Karen McCarthy said that they had been searching the Lucas Heights waste facility for the past five days and had already seized a number of items of clothing after a witness called in with information last week.
Police confirmed that the witness saw some clothing in a bin in the vicinity of the murder scene and they then traced where the rubbish was taken by a garbage truck to Lucas Heights.
"We are conducting an extensive search for clothing at the Lucas Heights waste facility," Supt McCarthy said.
"It is a huge task, however police are dedicated to finding out who is responsible for this murder.
"We have found some items of clothing and these are currently being forensically investigated.
"We're actually looking for clothing that was potentially worn by people involved in the murder of Peter Hofmann.
"This piece of information has come to us by a member of the community who indicated to us that police might find items of interest at the Lucas Heights Facility."
Supt McCarthy also revealed that police seized the knife used to stab Mr Hofmann at the crime scene after he was murdered on June 21.
"We have also recovered the knife which we believe may have been used in the murder of Peter Hofmann," she said.
"The knife was located within the crime scene on the night of the murder.
"At that particular point of time we were not in the position to release that information."
She said they still didn't have a motive for the brutal stabbing of Mr Hofmann, who had been living in his car since January, on June 21 at Mons Avenue.
Inquiries have found that Mr Hofmann fell into hard times after he was defrauded by a scam eventually taking his money, property and investments.
It comes as close friend Geoff Biett yesterday re-appealed for anyone with information to come forward.
Mr Biett said that Mr Hofmann had lived with him and his family for 12 months before he told them he wanted his independence and moved out - unbeknown to him resorting to then living in his car.
Mr Hofmann's sister Tricia, who travelled to Sydney from London, said: "Peter was a quiet gentle man who would never hurt anyone and yet someone felt they had the right to brutally attack him and leave him to die alone".