'The thing has fallen out': Shock find in Gympie child’s toy
A GYMPIE couple is urging parents to be careful when opening children's toys after their toddler found a rusty blade in a Kmart toy.
Renee King said her two-year-old Henley found the blade in the box of the toy and then brought it over to her partner Sally Barnden.
"We got given a paint and dog set and I half pulled out the plastic inside, grabbed the ceramics to paint with Mackinlee (6) and then shoved the plastic moulding back in," she said.
"I left it on the table because it was rubbish and Mackinlee and I were going to paint and then Henley has grabbed the box and then the knife thing has fallen out and he has walked over to Sally."
Ms King said she rang the store but did not find there was any concern.
"It was bought from the Kmart store at Logan Hyperdome and we contacted them, and they said this happened all the time and they would offer us a refund," she said.
"We wanted the store to be aware, but we felt like the store did not care and did not have the resources for it. It is not that hard to have extra staff on especially if it is a known issue, but we are lucky that he was not hurt.
"In hindsight I should have pulled the whole thing out, but you do not think about that stuff. Parents just need to be careful and check the rubbish at the bottom of the box."
Kmart Hyperdome was contacted for comment but said they did not have one at this time.