Sportsground waits for flood grant
THE whereabouts of funds for the Coramba Sportsground remain a mystery.
A NSW government spokesman said yesterday the cheque for the 2009 flood grant was signed last Thursday by former NSW Minister for Commerce John Robertson.
Coffs Harbour MP Andrew Fraser said yesterday the cheque had not been signed.
A spokeswoman for Coffs Harbour City Council said the council had received a letter from the minister on May 19 saying approval had been given to the funding of 149 flood restoration projects under the Natural Disaster Relief Program, including Coramba Sportsground.
OraraValley Axemen Rugby League Football Club Secretary Hans van der Donk said yesterday he was waiting anxiously for the money; an $80,000 flood relief grant from the NSW Government to cover work following the March 31 flood and three subsequent inundations of the Orara Valley ground.
He said Coffs Harbour council had advised the club in January the grant had been approved but they had not yet received the money.
“We are nearly halfway through the footy season and we really need to replace the light poles, which have a lean on,” Mr van der Donk said.
“We are training on Tuesday and Thursday nights and the lights are failing us – it’s nearly an occupational healthy and safety problem.
NSW Minister for Commerce Paul Lynch confirmed a record $2.258 million had been approved in government grants to Coffs Harbour City Council to cover emergency and restoration works following last year’s floods.