Flood victims now second-class
“ALL I can say is that it is about time we got something,” said Christine McNichol when informed about the Federal Government’s ex-gratia payment announced yesterday.
Ms McNichol was washed out of her Gundagai Place home on March 31 and ended up living in a friend’s basement.
She has received no government help and is still waiting for the balance of her insurance payouts.
She was ineligible for other forms of insurance because she works and had insurance.
“They promised us the world and they gave us nothing,” said a disillusioned John Edwards.
The legally blind 80-year-old pensioner was not convinced yesterday that he would finally get a payment.
Gloria and John Edwards moved into their villa a month before it was inundated in March and were in the process of changing from one insurance company to another when the storm hit.
Because the office of the new company had no eftpos machine, they were due to return the next day with a cheque to pay for their new policy – their villa was inundated that afternoon and they had no insurance.
Gloria Edwards said they received no government help, because they had more than $500 in assets, which they had saved for funeral expenses.
Peter Kimber said the treatment of Coffs Coast people had been ‘very unfair’ with them having to wait six months and complete a survey to apply for a payment.
He, his wife Shirley and even their dog Jedda have all suffered illness, nervous stress and depression, moving three times during more than six months without a permanent home after their home flooded.