Menu
News

Flood mitigation plan is on track

Mayor Keith Rhoades says the Bakers Road water detention basin made a “positive impact” in the recent downpours.
Mayor Keith Rhoades says the Bakers Road water detention basin made a “positive impact” in the recent downpours. TREVOR VEALE

COFFS Harbour City Council is advising ratepayers that it is on track with its $12 million Flood Mitigation Plan.

The early stages of the extensive construction and technology project received a moderate test earlier this month.

“The Bakers Road detention basin is the first major infrastructure to address the flooding issues facing the city that has already been completed and it really proved its worth in the recent heavy rain when more than a foot of water fell on our region in just nine days,” said Coffs Harbour Mayor, Councillor Keith Rhoades.

“There's a long way to go yet, but the positive impact that just one detention basin had is very encouraging.”

A further three detention basins are due to be built under the plan.

The Upper Shephards Lane and Bennetts Road detention basins are scheduled to be built during the dry season from May to October 2011.

The Spagnolos Road basin may also be constructed next year, subject to further design and land acquisition.

A concept design is also well under way for a Flood Early Warning System. Twelve of the 19 stormwater drainage projects identified as necessary to help alleviate local flooding issues and protect property have either been built, are under construction, are being designed or are being surveyed.

Investigations are continuing into the feasibility of improving stormwater overland flow paths and drainage in the CBD.

Six clearing operations have been carried out in and around Coffs Creek, Woolgoolga Creek and Middle Creek at Sawtell.

Negotiations are under way with the Roads and Traffic Authority to improve the waterway at Coffs Creek Bridge under the Pacific Highway.



Burglar wakes Summit couple

COUPLE woken in early hours when they saw a man leave their bedroom.

Car destroyed after it was left on roadside engulfed in fire

CAR FIRE: Firefighters from Sawtell were called to a burning Ford Falcon left on the side of Hulberts Rd, Sawtell on Sunday, February 18, 2018.

WATCH: Firefighters tackle car blaze late last night

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

Local Partners