Man drove month before five-year ban to end
HAVING been without his driver's licence for five years, Shawn Crisp was just over a month away from getting back behind the wheel only to be caught driving while disqualified.
Toowoomba Magistrates Court heard the 41-year-old had been pulled over by police on Alderley St on April 30.
Checks of his traffic record found he had been disqualified from driving for five years by the court and, by that order, was not eligible to apply for his licence until June 6 this year, police prosecutor Sergeant Tony Costa said.
Crisp's solicitor Phil Stainton told the court his client had started his own handyman business.
Knowing he was soon due to get his licence back, his client had been working on his car and had taken it for a test run around the block only to be pulled over by police, he said.
Magistrate Bevan Manthey said, based on Crisp's driving record, that he was a "persistent offender".
However, though he had been disqualified from driving for five years, Crisp had been eligible to apply to have his licence reinstated after two years.
Noting Crisp's "shocking history" but acknowledging his early plea of guilty, Mr Manthey sentenced him to six months jail but wholly suspended the term for two years and disqualified him from driving for two years.