Blow-up on show fireworks contract
COFFS Harbour Show Society president Christopher Pearson said he had no input into the decision to give the contract for fireworks for the 2010 Coffs Harbour Show to his company.
The decision has been questioned by former Coffs Harbour Show Society secretary Peter Rake, who said there was nothing wrong with a member of an incorporated association supplying a service, but the decision must be questioned when no other quotes were called for.
Mr Pearson said he had been approached by the society to present a fireworks program for a fixed budget and he had no idea how many other tenders had been considered.
Mylene Thomas, the show society’s treasurer and entertainment co-ordinator said the committee made the decision to ask C D Pearson Pyrotechnics if they would be prepared to supply the same quality of firework display that the patrons enjoyed last year, without an increase in cost.
“We set an amount within our limited 2010 budget (as we did with all our entertainment) as we could not afford any increases on last year’s expenditure,” Ms Thomas said.
“Last year’s fireworks display was a known quality, of which we were very pleased. So engaging this company avoided any risk of disappointment had we engaged with an unknown pyrotechnics technician.
“For the same reason, we took this approach with other proven entertainers such as Old Macdonald’s Farm, Steve McEwan’s Reptile World and the Mobile Rock Wall.
“C D Pearson Pyrotechnics accepted our offer for the 2010 Show and proved our decision a good one. They more than met our expectations and the show patrons enjoyed a stunning display on Saturday night.”