Chance to meet local firies
LOCALS will get the chance to meet firefighters and tour their workplaces during the NSW Fire Brigades open day on Saturday.
The annual open day, which includes fire stations across the Coffs Coast, gives families the chance to learn more about fire risks and fire prevention ahead of the winter months.
Fire crews will host a range of activities including firefighting demonstrations, station tours and fire safety presentations.
Children will be able to see fire engines and firefighting equipment up close.
The open day is the culmination of Fire Prevention Week where Coffs Coast residents are reminded of steps they can take to prevent house fires.
• Never leave cooking unattended;
• Ensure cooking appliances are turned off after use;
• Keep tea towels, oven mitts and other flammable items away from stoves and cooktops;
• Install a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in your home and familiarise yourself with how they work; and
• Have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home and make sure they work by testing them monthly and changing the batteries at least once a year.
For more information about fire safety and the open day, contact your nearest fire station or visit www.fire.nsw.gov.au