AN OCCUPANT of one of the units destroyed in the Korora inferno on Saturday has spoken to The Advocate about the ordeal.


Nerida and Tom Baragry were two of the eight who quickly evacuated the blaze on Saturday evening.


With no time to collect any possessions, the couple aged in their 60s lost everything from irreplaceable keepsakes to essential everyday items including their glasses and clothes. 


Mrs Baragry said the fire engulfed their home very quickly with no time to take any possessions with them.


"Our home was gone in less than 30 minutes ... It was a case of get out or die," she said. 


The pair are now living with their daughter, Nyssa Baragry in her unit in Coffs Harbour.


Mr and Mrs Baragry moved to Coffs Harbour in 2007 and had lived in their Korora home for two years. 


A family friend of the Baragrys, Lisa Cheel, has set up a Go Fund Me account to help support the couple rebuild their lives. 


Mrs Baragry said she and her family are overwhelmed with the support shown by the community with more than $2000 donated to the Go fund Me account in two days. 


"There's been a lot of offers, we're very appreciative of everything that's being done," she said. 


To make a donation, visit




EIGHT people were evacuated during the inferno that claimed two homes in Korora on Saturday night.


The residents were cleared to return home at 10pm that evening.  


Local fire fighters battled the inferno for 24 hours before it was fully extinguished at 6pm yesterday.


Coffs Harbour police said investigations are on-going and a report will be prepared for the coroner. 




FIRE destroyed a two-story semi detached home at Korora, north of Coffs Harbour. 


Emergency services were called to a Parkes Dr residence on Saturday about 6.30pm.


It's believed the fire started in a downstairs bedroom and spread quickly throughout the structure.

A fire has claimed a residence at Korora tonight.
A fire has claimed a residence at Korora tonight. Frank Redward


Witnesses said no one appeared hurt during the blaze, but it's understood police had to remove people from the dwelling and at least three people were treated for smoke inhalation.


Police said the fire threatened a number of nearby dwellings and as a precaution homes were evacuated in a one block radius.


The owner of the home, was not home at the time of the fire and arrived at the scene later comforting occupants of the home.



'You can't be weak in this': Nats vote on Hogan's future

premium_icon 'You can't be weak in this': Nats vote on Hogan's future

"I've had a lot of phone calls with people who are very upset"

PACIFIC HIGHWAY: Changed traffic conditions

PACIFIC HIGHWAY: Changed traffic conditions

Slow lane closures will be in place while the work is carried out

Explosive find in Anzac's war relics after seven decades

premium_icon Explosive find in Anzac's war relics after seven decades

Police Rescue and Bomb Disposal Squad detonate explosive substance.

Local Partners