Hero paramedic rescues mum, girl from fire
UPDATE: AN OFF-DUTY paramedic who forced his way into a burning home saving a mother, daughter and two dogs says he's just grateful he could help.
Queensland Ambulance Service Murgon Station officer-in-charge Michael Formica was visiting family in Harristown when he saw smoke coming from an Eileen St home about 5pm Tuesday.
Crossing the road to help, Mr Formica heard a commotion from the rear of the property where a man, fighting the fire with a garden hose, told him there were people inside.
"I could hear screaming coming from inside," Mr Formica said.
Smashing his way through the back door, he searched inside and found the mother and quickly pulled her free of the home which was engulfed in smoke.
It was then the woman said her eight-year-old daughter was still inside.
Mr Formica made another three attempts to find the young girl, searching the lounge room and wading through water and thick smoke as he searched the home.
He found a dog in one bedroom and a puppy in another, taking each outside to safety before continuing the search for the young girl.
Mr Formica found her inside the garage.
"She couldn't get up; I helped her up, got the daughter and moved her away from the fire and to the front (of the home)," he said.
"She had soot on her face."
Once safely outside and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services crews taking over the firefighting effort, Mr Formica gave first aid to the mum and daughter, fitting them with oxygen masks from the fire crews.
The distraught mother and young girl suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital for treatment.
Mr Formica suffered smoke inhalation and a small burn to his left hand.
"I never thought about it," he said.
"I was just glad I could do something."
EARLIER, 8.20AM: TWO people suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the front room of a Harristown home yesterday.
The occupants of the home on Eileen St managed to flee and emergency services were called to the scene property about 5pm.
A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said two crews responded to the home and reported the fire was contained to a room at the front of the home.
"The occupants were all out and accounted for," the spokeswoman said.
A Queensland Ambulance Service spokeswoman said two people including a woman were taken to Toowoomba Hospital suffering smoke inhalation.
The pair was transported in stable conditions.