Faulty airbag likely to have caused man's death

A FAULTY airbag that was part of a worldwide safety recall is likely to have caused a man's death in a car crash in Sydney last week, after a small fragment pierced his neck.

Just after 12.45pm last Thursday, emergency services were called to the intersection of Mallee and Church streets in Cabramatta, following reports of a crash between a Honda CRV and a Toyota Celica.

The driver of the Honda, a 58-year-old man, died at the scene.

The passenger of the Honda, a woman, and the driver and passenger of the Celica, both men, were treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigations reveal the vehicle in the incident was one of the car models identified in a worldwide recall for a faulty airbag.

"Investigations have revealed that the death of the man is likely due to a fault in the airbag, causing the man to be struck in the neck by a small fragment," police said in a statement.

Vehicle owners and drivers are urged to check this link and check if they own one of the car models mentioned and have not received, or acted on the recall notice, to do so as soon as possible.

NSW Police continue to work closely with the ACCC and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development in relation to the recall of vehicles carrying the potentially fatal airbags.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner and an investigation will determine if an inquest is necessary.

Topics:  death editors picks recall sydney

News Corp Australia

Protesters launch crowdfunding campaign to pay off fines

Coffs Coast residents John Ross, Liisa Rusanen, Ella Skerrett and Daniel Skerrett were arrested at Adani's Abbot Point coal terminal last month.

Anti-Adani protesters ask community to help pay off $4,000 fines.

Man charged with reckless GBH after pub fight

ARREST MADE: An 18-year-old man has been arrested and charged for the assault outside the Coffs Hotel which left a man with serious head injuries.

An 18-year-old man was arrested following last week's assault

Burglar wakes Summit couple

COUPLE woken in early hours when they saw a man leave their bedroom.

Local Partners