EVERY time Iain Park talks about his son Josh Park-Fing he knows he's in for a sleepless night.

Rolling over in his mind are the questions that, even a year after his teenage son died, still remain unanswered.

As yesterday marked the 12-month anniversary of Josh's death, Mr Park broke his silence, adding an emotional voice to mounting calls for the Federal Government to release a report into how his 18-year-old son died.

"The report won't give me comfort and closure in myself because at the end of the day I'll never get closure," Mr Park said.

"The simple fact is that it shouldn't have happened in the first place."

Josh Park-Fing and his mother Jenny Fing
Josh Park-Fing and his mother Jenny Fing Contributed

Josh was in a Work for the Dole program at the Toowoomba Showgrounds when, on April 19 last year, he fell from a tractor while collecting bins around the grounds.

He suffered critical head injuries and died in hospital a short time later.

Mr Park said one of the last messages he ever received from his son detailed his concerns about the work program.

"He passed some disturbing comments to me about (how) he'd actually injured himself before," Mr Park said.

"He told me that very morning ... about four hours before he died."

>>HOW IT HAPPENED: Teen killed in Work for Dole accident

The Federal Government launched an investigation into Josh's death which is understood to have been completed within months of the incident.

It has never been made public despite mounting pressures from federal politicians including the Greens and a motion put to the Senate in March.

Opposition spokesman for employment and workplace relations Brendan O'Connor said the Federal Opposition had called for the report to be made public "on 10 occasions".

THE BIGGEST LOSS:  Iain Park talks about the loss of his son Josh Park-Fing 12 months ago.  Wednesday Apr 19, 2017.
THE BIGGEST LOSS: Iain Park talks about the loss of his son Josh Park-Fing 12 months ago. Wednesday Apr 19, 2017. Nev Madsen

He said the government had failed to explain "to the public what it has done to improve workplace safety" in the program.

"Today marks one year since a young man tragically died on a Work for the Dole site in Toowoomba," Mr O'Connor said in a statement yesterday.

"We ask again the Turnbull Government to release the report as a matter of urgency."

Australian Unemployed Workers Union president Owen Bennett yesterday delivered an open letter to Federal Employment Minister Michaelia Cash, calling for the Work for the Dole program to be scrapped.

"We call on the Turnbull Government to release the report into Josh's death promptly, detail the action it is taking to ensure that people's health and safety are protected in this program, and announce in the budget the replacement of Work for the Dole and the Community Development Program with employment schemes that make a real difference to the job prospects of unemployed people," the letter read.

The AUWU also held rallies in Melbourne and Sydney yesterday to mark the anniversary of Josh's death.

But while calls to scrap the program continue, Josh's Toowoomba-based father said it at least needed to be reformed and reviewed to prevent further tragedy.

"There's no answers, no reports to say what was the leading cause," Mr Park said."I can't see why we have to see this report withheld and the truth not told because, at the end of the day, without the truth, we're never going to stop this.

"I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy."

A memorial service for will be held at Newtown Park in Toowoomba from noon on Saturday.

Union calls for report to be released

AUSTRALIAN Unemployed Workers Union president Owen Bennett has called for the Work for the Dole program to be scrapped as the Federal Government is yet to release a report into Toowoomba teenager Josh Park-Fing's death last year.

Addressing a public rally yesterday, Mr Bennett said the works program, to which the government earlier this month said it was committed to funding and retaining, was "dangerous and punitive".

"Work for the Dole is a forced labour program that does not help unemployed Australians into decent jobs," he said.

"What these people need is government that helps them into decent work, not one that forces them to work for nothing.

"We demand that the Turnbull Government release the report into Josh's death and replace the dangerous Work for the Dole and Community Development Program with action job creation programs."

An online petition calling for the government to release the report into Josh's death has gained 970 signatures since it was started in March this year.
 



Flagship Steve Irwin sails the East Coast against Adani

Flagship Steve Irwin sails the East Coast against Adani

Sea Shepherd to challenge global mining company in latest battle

Woman admits to drink driving six times over the legal limit

premium_icon Woman admits to drink driving six times over the legal limit

Coffs Coast woman pleads guilty to high range drink driving.

Local Partners