Family in shock after home destroyed in 'arson attack'
A COUPLE and their two young grandsons, aged 5 and 7, have been left with nothing after their house and two cars were completely destroyed in a suspected arson attack.
Warwick woman Kathleen Martin said her extended family were the victims of the suspicious fire that destroyed their Mount Marshall home on Tuesday night.
In a bid to help ease their devastation, Mrs Martin has started a GoFundMe page for the family of four.
"Any donation would be greatly appreciated, we just want to give them a fresh start,” she said.
"They're coming home to no house, there are no words for it.
"To think that someone can do that to somebody's home is just shocking.”
Mrs Martin said she heard about the fire on the radio when she was dropping her daughter off at school yesterday morning.
She went straight home and managed to get onto her uncle, who had only just learned the bad news himself.
"They're in shock,” Mrs Martin said.
"They're a struggling family and they have lost everything in that fire.
"They're going back to the house today to see if they have anything left.”
Emergency crews were called to the Sparksman Rd property at 10.30pm Tuesday night to find the house completely engulfed in flames.
Police are investigating and treating the fire as suspicious.
Warwick Police Senior Sergeant Jamie Deacon said neighbours reported seeing a small older model car at the property earlier in the evening and then leaving "at speed” after the fire broke out.
"It's atrocious, this is someone's house,” he said.
"It's been totally destroyed and we are yet to determine the cause of it.”
Anyone with information can phone Crime Stoppers anonymously on 1800 333 000, or phone Policelink on 131 444, or Warwick police on 4660 4444.
If you would like to help the family and donate, click here.