Stock photo
Stock photo Tessa Mapstone

Family of five evacuates as smoke fills home

A FAMILY of five were forced to evacuate their home on Camphorlaurel Drive last night when a a small fire broke out in their kitchen.

Fire and Rescue officers were called to the scene at about 7.30pm, where they found the fire already extinguished on arrival but a house filled with smoke.

A spokesman said the fire has started when a pot of boiling water that was being used to sterilise baby bottles boiled dry and the plastic bottles caught on fire.

The house was ventilated by the fire and rescue crew.

A spokesman said it is a timely reminder to be careful around smoke.

"All house fire smoke is toxic," the Gympie officer said.

"If there's smoke in a house you should evacuate and call 000 immediately."

There were no injuries from the incident. 



It can happen to anyone ...

It can happen to anyone ...

YOU have breast cancer. The words no one ever wants to hear.

GONE: Coffs Harbour merger pulls out before bowling a ball

premium_icon GONE: Coffs Harbour merger pulls out before bowling a ball

COFFS Harbour have pulled out of the North Coast Premier League.

Coffs Harbour's grandstand view to Elton John shows

premium_icon Coffs Harbour's grandstand view to Elton John shows

WIN: Premier seats to an Elton John Coffs Harbour concert.