Family escapes blaze that destroys house

Eight dollars a week for contents insurance is the best money one Repton family has ever spent.

A single mum, 40, and her three daughters lost most of their possessions when fire ravaged their two-bedroom timber cottage in Hunter Street early yesterday.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, said the fire started from a candle burning in the room where her twin four-year-olds and her other daughter, aged two-and-a-half, were bedded down for the night. The candle had been lit during a blackout, she said.

Her oldest daughter raised the alarm when she saw the candle catch on fire on top of the television. “She called out and when I opened their door, I saw the fire on top of the TV,” the woman said.

“We got the kids out to the front, but I couldn't get the garden hose, so we had to leave it. We came next door and called 000.

“The kids were so smart. They were onto it, they knew to come outside.”

Rural Fire Service  brigades from Repton and Mylestom, as well as Urunga Fire Station crews, dashed to the scene but couldn't save the dwelling, which had smoke alarms.

Ambulance officers examined the family at the scene and took them to Coffs Harbour Health Campus as a precaution.



Coffs MKR sisters draw in more than a million viewers

Coffs MKR sisters draw in more than a million viewers

Coffs sisters push up MKR rating with leader board topping dishes

Coffs business fined more than $20,000 for false claims

Coffs business fined more than $20,000 for false claims

Credit repair business penalised for false claims

From market garden to market leader

From market garden to market leader

New property development comes with a dose of history

Local Partners