Family dog dies after being baited in backyard
A family has been left devastated after their six month old puppy was baited in their own backyard.
Losing a dog after 11 years together, Robyn Stone and her family welcomed in a beautiful staffy puppy, Lucy, to help with their healing.
Lucy was full of life, loved people, the beach and swimming but after a cruel act, the family is grieving again after their six month old puppy was baited not once, but potentially three times.
Friday, March 24 was the first time.
Robyn said she noticed Lucy was a little bit off but didn't realise what had happened. Upon reflection, she has realised this was the first time she was baited.
"She had red diarrhoea but she got over it on her own," Robyn said.
On Monday, March 26, Robyn arrived home in Korora earlier than usual. While playing with Lucy, the puppy started to have muscles spasms.
"I took her to the Woopi vet, when veterinarian Jim saw her, he said she'd been poisoned by something.
"I went home to have a look around and found some snail pellets on my deck. I don't have any around my place.
Lucy stayed at the vet for two nights and miraculously pulled through. On Wednesday, March 28 she arrived back home.
Relieved and overjoyed to have Lucy recovering and alive, their emotions were short lived.
On Saturday, April 7, Robyn left the house for 45 minutes. When she returned home, she found crumbs on the lounge from something Lucy had bought inside.
"Upon further investigations, it looked very similar to red rat baits. From the crumbs left behind and with the symptoms she had, it definitely points to a rat bait.
While laying on the couch together the following Tuesday night, Lucy passed away.
"She was only six months old. I got her after another dog I had for 11 years passed away. She helped to deal with the grief of losing another long term dog, then this happened.
"We had no complaints about her from anyone, the neighbours said they'd never heard her bark.
After being baited the first time, Robyn installed a security camera and from watching hours of footage, said she was certain Lucy wasn't a barker.
The video has since been handed over to the police.
"I'm not great at all, it has really shaken me up a lot to think there are no other dogs in the place who have been baited. I feel it is a personal attack, it's left me shaken and very upset.
"We're now dealing with the loss of two dogs.
"I had radiation treatment over the Christmas period and Lucy was there for me. She helped me out and I want to try and get a little bit of justice for her by stopping it from happening to any other dogs.
"Jim from Woolgoolga Vet Clinic was amazing to get her through the first baiting. They didn't think she was going to pull through but he weaved his magic and it was great to have her back for the week or so.
"We were absolutely stoked to have her back but still cautious whether it would happen again.
"The last time she was baited I knew what was going to happen but I didn't want to take her back to the vet and put her through it all again. Once convinced she was definitely baited then I made the decision to have her put down but she passed before that could happen.
"I just want to make people aware there are horrible people out there."