Fire devastates couple's home

A YOUNG couple had the heartbreak of returning home yesterday to find their Toormina house gutted by fire.

Their plight was apparent as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames which had destroyed their Bangalee Cres property.

Neighbour Steve Jones raised the alarm around 12.30pm after he heard a front window explode.

“There were raw flames billowing out of the front of the house; the heat was just incredible,” Mr Jones said.

Fearful that the occupants might still be trapped inside, Mr Jones said, he and other neighbours had run down the side of the home seconds after a live wire came down in the front yard.

“We were calling out to anyone who might have been trapped inside.

"There was thick, black smoke gushing out of the side door to the home,” Mr Jones said.

“As soon as we realised no one was inside, I wanted to try and find the keys to the car parked out the front, but by then there was no way I could get inside, the fire spread so quickly,” he said.

Fire and Rescue and Hazmat crews from Coffs Harbour and Sawtell responded along with police, ambulance and energy crews, who cut power to the neighbourhood. Investigations are continuing.



Coffs MKR sisters draw in more than a million viewers

Coffs MKR sisters draw in more than a million viewers

Coffs sisters push up MKR rating with leader board topping dishes

Coffs business fined more than $20,000 for false claims

Coffs business fined more than $20,000 for false claims

Credit repair business penalised for false claims

From market garden to market leader

From market garden to market leader

New property development comes with a dose of history

Local Partners