Electrical fault blamed for blaze
POLICE say an electrical fault is believed to have sparked a $100,000 blaze in Coffs Harbour.
Firefighters including hazardous materials specialists converged on Caz Minio’s Restaurant in Rose Avenue on Sunday evening when the blaze broke out.
A man watering a garden heard the shrills of alarms and smelt smoke and contacted the authorities, said Coffs/Clarence crime manager, Detective Inspector Cameron Lindsay.
A contingent of 14 firefighters from Coffs Harbour Fire Station arrived at the scene about 4.40pm to discover smoke and flames billowing from the windows.
Eight officers donned breathing apparatus before breaking into the building to attack the flames, which had engulfed the rear kitchen.
The fire was under control within 20 minutes but crews remained at the scene for about 90 minutes to clean up and ensure no fresh outbreaks.
There was extensive fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the building, fire officers said.
Crime scene police were also called to begin their investigations.
Mr Lindsay said the fire was not suspicious but a report would be prepared for the information of the coroner.
Investigators say the damage bill could exceed $100,000.