Election probe fails to start despite three-month vow
A REVIEW of Queensland's council elections plus the Toowoomba South by-election was meant to be finished this month, but so far the process has not even begun.
The independent examination of the ballots will be done by a three-person expert panel, which is still yet to be appointed months after the initial announcement.
At the time, the government vowed the entire review would be finished within three months.
Queenslanders voted in council elections on March 19, while at the same time deciding whether Parliament should have four-year fixed terms.
Attorney-General and Redcliffe MP Yvette D'Ath announced a review into the ballots in July following the by-election.
It was in response to voter complaints about boundary changes, missing enrolments, queues and more.
The panel will also examine the referendum on fixed four-year terms for the Queensland Parliament.
At the time, Ms D'Ath said she wanted the review done within three months.
In a statement at the time, she said the goal was to ensure "an efficient system that voters have faith in, and one that's in line with modern capabilities".
Fairfax reports that three months later, Ms D'Ath's office is expecting the expert panel to be announced shortly.
"The Department of Justice and Attorney-General is working with stakeholders and the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning to finalise the names of those who will undertake this review," her office told Fairfax.