Education in fire safety
THE dangers of kitchen fires can be more readily demonstrated with the delivery of a new gadget to Sawtell Fire Station.
The Sawtell RSL Club chipped in the $2500 required for the kitchen fire simulator which will now be based at the station but which can be used by all fire and rescue officers in our region.
The simulator was put to use in a dramatic demonstration at the station yesterday.
“It allows us to teach not only kids, but adults, about kitchen fire safety,” said Sawtell Fire Station commander Keith Rhoades.
“It actually shows you the effects of fire and how quickly a house can be engulfed in flames.
“It vividly demonstrates how fires involving fat and oils should not be attacked with water.
"We can show you the effects if you do use water on fat fires.”
Mr Rhoades, who is also the Coffs Harbour mayor, said he was grateful to the board of the Sawtell RSL Club for its generosity.
“We really appreciate them coming on board,” Mr Rhoades said.
“It will allow us to spend time promoting the important fire safety message and to tell people what to do and what not to do if a fire breaks out in your home.
“It allows us to more easily and effectively spread the message and show people how easily a fire can start in your kitchen.
“We show people the correct use of a fire blanket and the operation of a smoke alarm.
"It’s good fire safety education for the community.”
Mr Rhoades said his brigade usually attended 15 to 20 kitchen fires each year.
“A lot are minor but some are more serious,” he said.
“They start when people are usually not being attentive to foodstuffs on the stove.”