Residents against PHACS draft
COFFS Harbour residents have told the City Council in no uncertain terms they are against the draft Priority Habitats and Corridors Strategy.
Submissions to the controversial strategy closed almost two weeks ago but due to their sheer volume it took council staff all of last week to tally them up.
The total came to a staggering 590 submissions either emailed, faxed, mailed or delivered to council.
It is believed the vast majority of those submissions were against the draft strategy.
Local NSW Farmers Association member Gary Dew said the number of submissions indicated how many people were concerned about the impact of the draft strategy on their land and livelihoods.
“At a meeting with senior council staff on Thursday we were told that about three quarters of the submissions were against the draft strategy,” Mr Dew said.
“I think this would have to be the biggest number of submissions that council has ever had to one of its strategies, which says a lot about how many people it upset.”
Mr Dew said he now expected a considerable re-working of the strategy
“We definitely don’t want to see this draft strategy adopted by council and put into the local environment plan. We are still concerned about what is going to happen when development applications are submitted for land earmarked for future corridors.”
A council spokesperson said the strategy will likely be put to a council meeting in May.