Doctor's strike leads to successful decision
DORRIGO is finally getting a much-needed second full-time doctor.
Yesterday the town's only current full-time doctor, Horst Herb, returned to work after the successful resolution of the impasse that saw him go out on strike last week.
“I am very happy,” Dr Herb said. “The doctor rang me late on Wednesday to tell me the NSW Medical Board had finally approved his registration.
“I expect him to be here within two to four weeks.”
Dr Herb said he had been feeling very anxious about the outcome of the Board's meeting to discuss the matter.
“It was such a huge relief to get the news. It has been very awkward being in Dorrigo and not working for the past week, but I definitely think going on strike is what made the difference.
“I don't think things would have moved otherwise.”
The overworked doctor and his part-time colleague Ruth Lenehan have been waiting since March for the NSW Medical Board to assess the application for an additional doctor for the town, the search for whom has taken some six years.
“It has been an incredible strain, especially on my family.
“Now there are no other obstacles and we are just waiting to complete all the Medicare paperwork.”
A spokeswoman for the NSW Medical Board, Edwina Light, said the Board had met on Wednesday and resolved the outstanding matters of the case,
“The Board has now granted approval for the doctor's registration in the appropriate category to commence work in Dorrigo,” Ms Light said.