Do you live by the five second rule? You shouldn't
THE five second rule: eating food that has dropped on the floor momentarily.
Many of us would admit to living by this age-old convention. But researchers claim it is a myth and warn we are putting ourselves at risk of contracting a "silent killer" by doing so.
The New Zealand Herald reports researchers say harmful household bugs such as salmonella and E. coli stick to food in an instant and dropped food should be binned regardless of how long it was on the floor for.
Salford University hygienist, Dr Lisa Ackerley said the deadliest bacteria is the ones we cannot smell or see. They can multiply from a single bacterium to several million in just seven hours.
The call comes after a survey of 2000 people found 37 per cent would eat food after it had dropped on the kitchen floor and 38 per cent off the living room floor.
This is despite nearly half admitting they only use a broom when cleaning and 59 per cent saying they only cleaned when there were visible signs of dirt.