Brown Tree Snake Richie Gilbert
Brown Tree Snake Richie Gilbert

Dad's silly snake mistake sees daughter rushed to hospital

A SUNSHINE Coast father's mistake saw his daughter rushed to hospital after being bitten by a venomous snake, according to a local snake catcher.  

The father learnt a dangerous lesson after he captured what he thought was a harmless snake in his home.   

Under the assumption it was a non-venomous tree snake, catcher Richie Gilbert said the dad decided to let his seven-year-old daughter hold it before releasing it into the wild. 

When she was almost instantly bitten the father became concerned the snake might not be so safe.   

The girl's mother frantically phoned Mr Gilbert to find out what had bitten her daughter.  

She sent a photo to the snake catcher who immediately identified it as a mildly venomous brown tree snake and told them to get medical treatment immediately.  

REALLY?!?!?!?!As I write this post a young 7 year old girl is on her way to hospital after being bitten by a snake...

Posted by Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 on Saturday, April 18, 2015

  "The mother called me and sent me a photo just to make sure it was harmless," Mr Gilbert said.   

While reactions were generally localised swelling and pain, Mr Gilbert said children usually reacted differently. 

 "They're a nocturnal snake so it's not common for kids to come into contact with them," he said.  

"Not many children get bitten by them." 

BEST SUNSHINE COAST SNAKE TALES

 

 

 Fortunately the little girl was deemed to be okay after a brief stint in hospital.   

Her father was left feeling incredibly embarrassed about the ordeal after Mr Gilbert took to Facebook to warn others about the dangers of playing with snakes.   He urged the public to learn from the father's mistake.   

"I'm not trying to embarrass the family, I'm just making people aware of this story so everyone can learn from these mistakes.   "Never touch a snake, especially if you don't know what it is."   

Mr Gilbert said anyone unsure of snake identification should call an expert and send them a photo.       



A massive shower in the street

premium_icon A massive shower in the street

Burst main sends water high into the sky.

'Lock up and be wary': Man gutted after senseless vandalism

premium_icon 'Lock up and be wary': Man gutted after senseless vandalism

Coffs man is warning locals to lock up as vehicle thefts rise.

New fishing platforms and jetty rebuild slated

premium_icon New fishing platforms and jetty rebuild slated

Work on jetty set to begin with $420,000 of funding.