Planning under way for cycleway
THE city’s pedal-powered community are celebrating a major victory with news that cost estimates for Priority 1 sections of a proposed Northern Beaches cycleway are being prepared by the Roads and Traffic Authority.
Priority 1 sections along the Sapphire to Woolgoolga Pacific Highway upgrade are those sections where no cycleways exist or are proposed as part of developments.
A spokeswoman for the RTA said the cost estimates would be compared to funds available within the project budget for the highway upgrade.
“Where required, environmental assessment of selected cycleway facilities will be prepared and displayed for community comment,” the spokeswoman said.
The Priority 1 sections include:
- Coachmans Close to Split Solitary Road, Sapphire;
- Skinners Creek to Sandy Beach Public School on Graham Drive;
- Graham Drive north to Hearnes Lake Road at Woolgoolga;
- the existing Pacific Highway at Unwins Road, Woolgoolga, to the junction of the existing Pacific Highway and Woolgoolga Creek Road, Woolgoolga; and
- Mullaway Primary School to Arrawarra Beach Road, Arrawarra.
“Substantial earthwork currently occurring prevents the design and construction of a cycleway from Killara Avenue at Heritage Park to south of Emerald Beach,” the spokeswoman said.
For the Priority 2 sections, where cycleways are proposed by developers, the RTA in consultation with Coffs Harbour City Council will investigate opportunities to forward-fund sections not constructed by the developer. These sections are:
- Split Solitary Road, Sapphire to Moonee Beach Shopping Centre, Moonee Beach;
- Moonee Beach Road, Moonee Beach to Skinners Creek;
- Diamond Head Road, Sandy Beach to Graham Drive North, including the bridge across Double Crossing Creek; and
- Hearnes Lake Road to the existing Pacific Highway at Unwins Road, Woolgoolga.
For the priority 3 sections where cycleway facilities exist, no additional facilities are planned as part of the project.
These sections are:
- Moonee Beach Shopping Centre to Moonee Beach Road, Moonee Beach;
- Sandy Beach Public School on Graham Drive to Diamond Head Road, Sandy Beach; and
- The junction of the existing Pacific Highway and Woolgoolga Creek Road, Woolgoolga, to Mullaway Primary School.
- The next meeting of the Cycle Focus Group has not yet been scheduled.
Group members will be advised of the next meeting date when it is determined.