Cowper may be nail biter
NAMED after Sir Charles Cowper, who was the premier of NSW for just over two months in 1856, the electorate of Cowper was first proclaimed in 1900.
Cowper covers an area of approximately 7861sq km.
It stretches from Kempsey to Maclean and inland to the west of Dorrigo and the Upper Macleay.
A traditionally conservative seat, Cowper has only once fallen to the ALP.
That was in 1961 when F W McGuren was elected for just one term after the resignation of Sir Earle Page who had held Cowper for 42 years, between 1919 and 1961.
The sitting member Luke Hartsuyker was elected in 2001 after the resignation of Gary Nehl (1984-2001)
At the 2007 election Mr Hartsuyker survived a 5.5 per cent swing to narrowly beat the ALP’s Paul Sekfy after the distribution of preferences.
The seat is now notionally marginal with a swing of just 1.2 per cent needed to unseat Mr Hartsuyker.