Council will appeal plan
COUNCILLOR John Arkan is pushing for a meeting between Coffs councillors and the owner of land involved in the controversial Sandy Shores subdivision between Hearnes Lake and Sandy Beach.
The council, which wants the subdivision limited to 35 lots, is working on an appeal against the concept approval for a maximum of 200 lots given by NSW Minister for Planning Tony Kelly on December 20.
A Notice of Determination advertised in The Coffs Coast Advocate yesterday by Planning NSW stated: “The validity of this approval shall
not be questioned in any legal proceedings except those commenced in the Land and Environment Court within three months from the date of publication of this notice.”
The notice lists the proponent as Sydney NSW Property Consultants.
Cr Arkan said he had asked the mayor, Cr Keith Rhoades, to organise a meeting between the councillors, general manager Steve McGrath, staff and the owner of the land involved, Peter Darby.
“Peter wants to sit and talk with the councillors,” Cr Arkan said.
Mr Darby said he had ‘copped a fair bashing’ on environmental assessments, but a Department of Environment and Heritage study, which had been insisted on by the council, showed there were no endangered species on his block of land.
Objections by residents focus on the threat of flooding to future residents of the subdivision and present and future residents of Sandy Beach.
Sandy Beach resident Liz Dray said a condition of the concept approval was that the land would be built up higher than established homes on its border.
“The southern border of the land runs parallel to a council drainage easement which abuts homes along Maple Road and Pine Crescent,” Ms Dray said.
“Some of the homes in Pine Crescent already flood after solid downpours and this flooding escalates during incoming tidal flows from Hearnes Lake.
“Ratepayers will continue to pay for such poor planning decisions and families will continue to suffer if developments such as this one are allowed to proceed.”