Fireball erupts as cars collide

CAR ABLAZE: A car burning on the Tugun Bypass yesterday. Photo: Steve Barnes
CAR ABLAZE: A car burning on the Tugun Bypass yesterday. Photo: Steve Barnes

A DRIVER managed to escape just before his car became a fireball on the Tugun Bypass yesterday.

One lane of the Pacific Highway was closed for about an hour, from 7am DST, as four fire crews fought to control the blaze.

A New South Wales Ambulance spokeswoman said two men were taken to a Gold Coast hospital.

“Paramedics treated a 30-year-old man with minor injuries to his head and a 40-year-old man with minor neck injuries.

“Both men were taken to hospital in a stable condition.”

Tweed Byron Police duty officer Inspector Owen King said the crash occurred just north of the Tugun Bypass tunnel in the northbound lane.

“A green ’92 Holden Commodore and a 2010 grey Toyota Kluger were involved.”

Tweed Heads Fire Station senior firefighter Mark Donovan said it appeared the driver of the Commodore attempted to do a u-turn.

“It looks like they stopped dead in the right-hand lane and someone ploughed into the back of them,” Mr Donovan said.

“The Commodore burst into flames on impact.

“Fortunately both drivers were removed.”

Mr Donovan said as well as Tweed firefighters, Bilinga and Burleigh Heads fire trucks and the airport fire service attended.

“When we got there the Queensland guys had their hoses on it and were already putting it out. We helped with clearing some debris off the road.”

A Queensland Department of Community spokeswoman said both the Queensland Ambulance and Fire Service attended.

“We sent two fire crews,” she said. “On arrival the car was well alight. They extinguished the blaze quickly.”

Ken Boys from the RTA Transport Management Centre said speed was reduced and one lane of the bypass closed for about an hour.

“The vehicle caught fire in the northbound lane, taking up one of two lanes,” Mr Boys said.

Enticer to 'Tri' and win bike

COME TRI: A shorter distance event for those new to the sport is being held as part of the bcu Coffs Tri weekend.

Enticer at Coffs Tri for those thinking about doing first triathlon.

Valla search unable to find missing swimmer

An aerial view of Valla Beach.

Hopes of finding swimmer who went missing at Valla Beach are fading.

Son of Ibrahim's bodyguard gunned down in Coffs Harbour

SHOOTING VICTIM: Nemilote 'Nim' Ngata (right) with John Ibrahim. Ngata was shot in Coffs Harbour on February 10, 2018.

The son of Semi Ngata, shot three months ago, was hit by a shotgun

Local Partners