Coin in the groin: A cautionary tale for drinkers
A DARWIN professional has a lasting reminder to take it easy on the turps after he framed a 50c piece he swallowed during a night out and later excreted.
Stu, who didn't want to give his last name for fear of complete public humiliation and ruining his future employment prospects for the rest of his life, swallowed $2.70 in coins at Monsoons last Saturday night.
His memories of the Territory Day incident are fuzzy, but the 26-year-old said he woke on Sunday "feeling a bit crook".
"I went back to the bar and they said I should go to the hospital and the story slowly unravelled," he said.
Friends told Stu someone had dropped coins into a schooner he then skolled, currency included. An X-ray taken at Royal Darwin Hospital showed a 20c piece lodged near the base of his spine and a 50c piece in his oesophagus.
A $2 coin he is also believed to have swallowed had already made an exit. Stu said he managed to pass the 20c piece without noticing.
But the 50c coin proved more problematic.
He underwent surgery to remove it from his oesophagus, but by the time surgeons opened him up, the coin had moved. It made its way out in a more organic way.
"I went fishing for turds; I had to get a pair of tongs out of my cousin's kitchen," Stu said.
"I guess I should get her new ones. Embarrassingly, I have to say it didn't hurt. I'm not too sure what that means, maybe something else happened to me that night."
The offending coin, minted in 1983, will be framed and kept in Stu's bedroom. The experience won't turn him off Monsoons. "I might go back and sit in the pokies area with my mouth open," he said.