Crews issue fire safety warnings
THE festive season could go up in smoke for Coffs Coast residents who disregard safety warnings.
Coffs Harbour Fire Station crews are urging locals to check their Christmas lights and ensure power boards and power points are used correctly.
Station officer Matt Malone said overloading power boards could spell disaster.
“Poor maintenance or incorrect usage of power boards can result in house fires, endangering lives and causing considerable damage to property,” Mr Malone said.
“Across NSW there were 711 residential fires between December 1, 2009, and January 31, 2010, and 87 people were injured in house fires during the period.
“Many were started by candles or cigarettes left unattended.”
Mr Malone said residents should take precautions to reduce the risk of fire during the festive season.
“When you plug in the Christmas lights and dust off the fans and portable air-conditioners to keep cool over summer, ensure that you have checked all electrical cords and power boards. If they are damaged, replace them immediately.
“Ask yourself if your family is worth the time it takes to replace damaged Christmas lights, and check your smoke alarms
“Removing dust from a power board and positioning it on its side will reduce the risk of dust settling in unused points which could spark a fire.”
For more information, visit www.fire.nsw.gov.au.