Coffs Coast residents tell RTA where to go!
Last week the RTA reported they had received just 18 submissions, but that number blew out to more than 170 just three days before submissions were due last Friday.
Residents of Korora are no doubt the cause, with plans to remove vital pedestrian overpass the Luke Bowen Footbridge causing loud public outcry that is now being heard in the offices of the RTA.
An RTA spokesperson said they are now in the early stages of investigating the issues raised in the submissions.
“Points raised include noise concerns, questions over the final appearance of the project, air quality, access to the bypass once completed and the retention of the Luke Bowen Footbridge,” the spokesperson said.
“Once these investigations are complete, Coffs Harbour City Council will be asked to take formal planning action to reserve the corridor.”
And as residents wait to hear the outcome of their submissions on a proposed bypass of Coffs Harbour, Member for Coffs Harbour Andrew Fraser has thrown his weight behind an alternative proposal he claims would save land and lives.
Mr Fraser said the RTA's proposed bypass would not only 'dissect' Coffs Harbour, but also 'sterilise' some of the best land previously earmarked for future residential development.
“State government research found that the population of the Mid North Coast is expected to increase dramatically and proper consideration needs to be given now to planning roadways to cater for the expected growth,” Mr Fraser said.
“The proposed inner bypass is no longer the most beneficial option.”
Mr Fraser said he supports an alternative proposal put forward by the community, which would allow a four-lane dual carriageway between Sapphire and Woolgoolga at a price tag of $200 million.
“This could be commenced immediately and give the RTA an opportunity to plan a far western bypass which would be needed by 2030,” Mr Fraser said.