Big ideas for Coffs' future
ONE of the State’s leading business bodies has released a blueprint to grow the Mid North Coast region.
The 10 Big Ideas to Grow the Mid North Coast was developed by the NSW Business Chamber following roundtables with businesses held in Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Taree.
The regional manager of NSW Business Chamber, Kellon Beard, said the ideas were the basis for a plan which would invest in infrastructure, create jobs, improve skills, cut red tape and preserve the idyllic lifestyle of the Mid North Coast.
“We are big believers in the potential of the Mid North Coast. Most estimates have Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour experiencing population growth of 50 per cent over the next 25 years, and we have to invest in our future now,” Mr Beard said.
“It is a plan for growth – but for growth that protects our environment, skills up our young people and that is environmentally responsible.”
The 10 Big Ideas are:
- Develop a strategy with Department of Immigration to attract younger skilled workers and their families into the region;
- Provide six monthly report cards to the community about progress on the rebuilding of the Pacific Highway;
- Seek relocations of government agencies and major businesses to the Mid North Coast;
- Implement new streamlined approvals and planning for local government;
- Fund upgrades of Port Macquarie Airport;
- Accelerate rollout of the National Broadband Network;
- Funding for a major renewable energy project on the Mid North Coast;
- Establish the Mid North Coast as Australia’s first higher education region;
- Establish a Mid North Coast brand.