Coffs child care not under threat
CHILD protection in Coffs Harbour is not under threat, according to the Department of Community Services.
Last week The Advocate reported that three frontline caseworker contracts from the Coffs Harbour office of DoCS had been axed, prompting member for Coffs Harbour, Andrew Fraser, to accuse the State Government of failing to protect children in our area.
In a statement issued late on Friday, and after the newspaper went to press, DoCS said no caseworkers have been sacked from the Coffs Harbour office.
“Three temporary caseworkers in Coffs Harbour will soon finish their contracts of employment,” a DoCS spokesperson said.
“From time to time DoCS employs staff on temporary contracts to make sure that Community Services Centres are well staffed to provide a service to children, young people and their families.”
The spokesperson said the circumstances of the three temporary caseworkers contracts finishing include one contracted position being filled by a permanent employee, another was covering a permanent position-holder who was on leave, while the third involved a temporary backfill to cover the position during a secondment.
There are currently 33 caseworkers at Coffs Harbour.