Menu
News

Chinese Vlogger accidentally poisons herself on livestream

A VLOGGER in China had a near fatal experience when she accidentally ate a poisonous plant live on camera thinking it was a harmless aloe vera leaf.

The 26-year-old Chinese woman, who is known by her surname Zhang, was broadcasting her "Aloe Vera Feast" to her hundreds of viewers to promote the purported health benefits of eating aloe vera leaves raw.

"This is great. Yum," Zhang can be heard saying initially in the footage.

But it wasn't long until Zhang knew something wasn't right.

"Oh, that's bitter. That is really bitter," she then said.

Chinese vlogger Zhang was rushed to hospital when she accidentally ate a poisonous plant instead of harmless aloe vera.
Chinese vlogger Zhang was rushed to hospital when she accidentally ate a poisonous plant instead of harmless aloe vera. Supplied

Zhang was then forced to abandon her live stream and rush to the hospital when her mouth went "numb" and it felt like her throat was on "fire". The plant she had bitten into wasn't aloe vera, but was actually Agave Americana, a poisonous plant native to Mexico which resembles aloe vera.

By the time Zhang arrived at the hospital, she had broken out into rashes and blisters, according to the Shanghaiist.

Doctors were forced to pump her stomach to remove parts of the poisonous plant to save her life.

She is reported to now be in stable condition.

Topics:  editors picks livestream poison

News Corp Australia


Car destroyed after it was left on roadside engulfed in fire

CAR FIRE: Firefighters from Sawtell were called to a burning Ford Falcon left on the side of Hulberts Rd, Sawtell on Sunday, February 18, 2018.

WATCH: Firefighters tackle car blaze late last night

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

Coffs sisters battle it out on My Kitchen Rules

Sisters Georgie, 25, and Alicia, 30 from Coffs Harbour will compete in tonight's episode of My Kitchen Rules

Local sisters bring 'modern take' on Asian cuisine to national TV.

Local Partners