Child becomes third NSW measles case in a week
A CHILD has become the third person to be diagnosed with measles in less than a week as health authorities forecast further cases because infected people have gone to "busy public places".
NSW Health last night confirmed a child had been taken to the Royal North Shore Hospital emergency department with the contagious illness.
A spokeswoman said staff were "still confirming this latest patient's recent movements and will update their exposure risk as soon as these details are confirmed".
The child's diagnosis is the third since December 29, with NSW Health on Wednesday issuing an alert after a woman visiting from the ACT was diagnosed with measles.
NSW Health said she was infectious while visiting the Central Coast and Sydney's northern suburbs between December 26 and 30.
She visited Thornleigh McDonald's, Jasmine Cafe at Umina Beach and made several visits to Deepwater Plaza in Woy Woy and Umina Beach Shopping Centre.
On Saturday an alert was also issued after a young man, recently returned from Thailand, was found to have measles.
NSW Health said the man's case was unrelated to the ACT woman's but they were now expecting more cases as they had both gone to busy places.
"NSW Health is expecting further measles cases could arise as both the ACT and NSW cases have been in busy public places prior to being diagnosed," NSW Health's Director of Communicable Diseases Dr Vicky Sheppeard said.
The man was reported to have gone to a range of places in Bondi, Rosebery, Chippendale and the CBD.
Dr Sheppeard said symptoms usually began 10 days after exposure but could start up to 18 days afterwards.
Measles symptoms include fever, sore eyes and a cough followed three or four days later by a red, blotchy rash spreading from the head and neck to the rest of the body.