Cash grants for flood victims
Kevin Rudd announced in Parliament yesterday that one-off cash payments of $1000 per adult and $400 per child would be provided to eligible families affected by the floods.
The move has been welcomed by Luke Hartsuyker, the Federal member for Cowper, one of the electorates affected by flooding.
“I know there are many families out there who will welcome this assistance," Mr Hartsuyker said.
"I understand this assistance will be administered by Centrelink.”
Mr Hartsuyker said additional funding was also being extended to small businesses and primary producers.
“Grants of up to $15,000 are being made available to small business people and primary producers. The Prime Minister advises the funding will be provided to those who can provide proof of flood related recovery," he said.
Funding will be co-ordinated through the NSW Rural Assistance Authority and anyone who believes they may be eligible for assistance should phone 1800 678 593.
How has the wild weather affecting you? Send us photos via email at email@example.com.
- Contributed flood photos from readers.
- View a gallery of flood images from across south-east Queensland and northern New South Wales.
- See a gallery of images from Grafton.
- For more images of floods around the Sunshine Coast, visit The Sunshine Coast Daily's flood gallery 1 and flood gallery 2.
- See photos of Grafton as evacuation is ordered.
- View flood photos from the first deluge in south-east Queensland.
Bureau issues final flood warning
Cry in the dark sparks rescue
Grafton flood photos and update
Rain eases but gales batter coast
NSW extends disaster zone
Severe weather gets second wind
All beaches closed
View readers' flood photos
Man found dead in flood waters
Nth NSW in for more wet weather
Time to get out
SES order Lismore flood evacuation
Squalls blackout whole region
Families evacuated, regions cut off
NSW flood information centre set up
Wild seas lash coast
Mass evacuations forced in Tweed
Rain and floods force evacuations
Bligh declares SEQ flood disaster
Emergency resources and weather updates:
- Check out the Bureau of Meteorology's live radar image.
- New South Wales SES news updates.
- Queensland SES news updates.
- Road closure information can be found on the Road and Traffic Authority, NSW (RTA) website and RACQ website.
- For emergency assistance in floods and storms, contact the SES on 132 500. For life-threatening emergencies call 000.
- ThePublicInformation and Inquiry Centre is open to provide informationregardingdisplaced families, road closures, welfare assistance and allothergeneral inquiries. They can be contacted on 1800 227 228.