Smokin’: Fire crews at the scene of the car fire in O’Keefe Drive on Wednesday night.
Smokin’: Fire crews at the scene of the car fire in O’Keefe Drive on Wednesday night. Frank Redward

Man hurt as car goes up in flames

A RESTORATION project has gone up in smoke and resulted in hospital treatment for a burns victim.

Police said two men, aged 22 and 18, were trying to start their classic American car which they were restoring in a shed at Coffs Harbour’s O’Keefe Drive on Wednesday night when disaster struck.

Investigators said the 22-year-old poured a small amount of petrol into the carburettor and when the 18-year-old turned on the ignition it created a small fireball which burnt the other man’s right arm.

The 22-year-old was taken to hospital for treatment for his burns but while he was there, the car caught fire.

The 18-year-old and another man, 60, tried to douse the flames with an extinguisher and Coffs Harbour Fire Station crews and paramedics converged on the industrial shed when the alarm was raised.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.



Army Thunder dig deep for charity match win

Army Thunder dig deep for charity match win

Thunder forced into finding something special in charity match.

Ice cool Boutier in charge at Bonville

Ice cool Boutier in charge at Bonville

French golfer builds five stroke lead in Australian Ladies Classic.

Jetty to be transformed: Plan to demolish Forestry buildings

Jetty to be transformed: Plan to demolish Forestry buildings

Owners seek approval to clear Forestry site for development

Local Partners