Campsite gourmet for kids: Billie poached eggs
Bacon and eggs is one of the staple camping breakfasts that everyone loves.
Here's an easy treat you can for the family on any camping trip. It is so full of flavour, the kids will be coming back for more ... so make sure you make extra!
- Serves 4
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cooking Time 15 minutes
8 Rashes Bacon
8 Pork chipolatas sausages
4 Pieces Sourdough /Bread
1 Punnet cherry tomatoes
Canola spray oil
½ Cup white vinegar
Salt & Pepper
- Bring a billie pot of water to the boil and add vinegar.
Keep on medium heat.
- Oil a large frypan, add bacon & chipolatas and fry till evenly browned, cooked through.
- Remove bacon & pork chipolatas from pan onto paper towel to drain excess fat.
Wipe pan clean and add butter and buttered bread and fry on both sides, or if your pan is big enough, just make some space.
- While bread is frying turn heat up on the vinegar water (just on boiling). With a slotted spoon swirl the water to make a whirlpool (really important) and crack eggs into the middle of the funnel of water. This will hold the eggs together in a little sack. Keep water swirling quickly and let eggs poach up to maximum of 3 minutes for soft poached .
Remove eggs with a spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Serve eggs on toast with a drizzle of hollandaise sauce (below) and cherry tomatoes, bacon & chipolatas. Add a bit of cracked pepper & salt for seasoning.
Your eggs are cooked when the whites are no longer translucent and the yolk has a bounce when lightly touched.
Easy Hollandaise Sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 175gr butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- In a heatproof bowl add egg yolks and water 1 tbsp lemon juice, whisk over a low heat, for about 30 secs.
- Take bowl off the heat add lemon juice and butter. Keep whisking over low heat for approx 1 min or until your sauce starts to thicken.
- Take off heat and continue whisking gently.
- Add a pinch of salt & pepper and that's it, it's ready to serve.