Update 3.47pm: A MAN remains in a critical but stable condition at the Royal Brisbane Hospital after a gas explosion at a cafe at Ballina Central Shopping Centre overnight on Monday.
Police understand that Fire Kebabs manager Iman Cardak, 49, went to ignite a stove at Café Fix, that is shared between the two shops, when the single blast occurred.
Investigations into the explosion have been handed over from police to SafeWork NSW after officers deemed the incident as not suspicious.
In a statement, a SafeWork NSW spokeswoman confirmed investigations were on-going with initial enquiries suggest "a male worker sustained burns while extinguishing the resulting fire" from the explosion.
Update 1.40pm: STAFF at a Ballina cafe remain in shock today after an explosion last night left an employee with burns to 28 per cent of his body.
Café Fix and the adjoining kebab shop have been closed all day at Ballina Central Shopping Centre as gas inspections and investigations by police and SafeWork NSW continue.
Centre management spokeswoman, Karen Radford, said both stores will remain closed until the investigations are completed.
"We can't take any risks," Ms Radford said.
After speaking with café management this morning, Ms Radford said it's understood the man, 49, injured in the blast remained in a stable condition at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.
She said the café manager, who she didn't name, was "quite shocked" at the accident that injured her friend and colleague.
Ms Radford credited the man's "incredible inner strength" by self-extinguishing the fire and driving himself to Ballina District Hospital shortly after the blast about 8pm Monday night.
Update 7.40am: A BALLINA café remains closed for investigations after a gas explosion left a 49-year-old man with burns to his face, arms and legs.
Police said the café employee went to ignite a stove at Café Fix at Ballina Central about 8pm last night when it exploded in his face.
The man, who was by himself at the time, used a hand-held extinguisher to put out the blaze.
He was taken to Ballina District Hospital before being flown to the Royal Brisbane Hospital where he remains in a stable condition.
Safework NSW and crime scene officers will continue their examinations of the café today.
Update Tuesday 7.10am: THE Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter was called out just after midnight last night to transfer a 49-year-old man who had suffered burns after a gas leak explosion in a Ballina cafe.
After initial treatment at Ballina Hospital, the rescue chopper was tasked to transfer the patient to the Royal Brisbane Hospital Burns unit.
The man suffered extensive burns and was transferred in a stable condition.
Original story, Monday 9.30pm: A PERSON has been taken to hospital after a gas explosion at a Ballina shopping centre on Monday night.
A spokeswoman from Ballina Central confirmed the incident, but said details were still "sketchy".
She said the explosion happened in the coffee shop, Cafe Fix.
It is understood one person, a worker at the cafe, has been transported to hospital.
The details of the person's injuries are unknown.
Reports from the scene indicate the man was cooking when there was a "single blast". He then self-presented to Ballina Hospital for treatment.
NSW Ambulance Media said they had no reports of an explosion.
The shopping centre's security company posted this message on Facebook tonight: "URGENT. I would strongly advise people stay away from Ballina Central Shopping Centre (where IGA is) until further notice.
"There has been a gas explosion at a business in the centre and emergency services on scene.
"One person injured and being transferred to Brisbane I believe."
It is understood there is no structural damage to the shopping centre.
More to come.