Blitz targets school zone safety
ILLEGAL phone use, speeding and vehicle standards were on the radar during a police operation targeting driver safety in school zones this week.
New South Wales Traffic and Highway Patrol Command conducted the state-wide Operation Compliance 3 on Wednesday - resulting in 2927 infringements across the state.
In Coffs Harbour, seven drivers incurred a $319 fine for using a mobile phone in school areas.
Traffic and Highway Patrol commander John Hartley said mobile phone use continued to be a major risk factor when behind the wheel.
"Motorists are still either oblivious to the dangers or simply don't care," he said.
"We know that using a mobile phone is a major distraction for drivers and this act has tragically claimed lives on our roads."
Four drivers were handed speeding infringements and five motorists were fined with standing offences.
"These operations are clear proof that road users need to start taking greater personal responsibility for their driving and riding behaviour," Mr Hartley said.
Since November 2012, it has been an offence for drivers to talk on their phone unless it can be used without touching the handset.
The 2015 NSW road toll stands at 197 crashes resulting in 208 deaths - nine crashes and 12 deaths higher than this time last year.