Beach safety first during school holidays
NSW surf lifesavers and lifeguards have issued a strong warning to beachgoers and coastal holiday makers to observe surf safety warnings during the Autumn school holiday period which commences this Friday .
SLSNSW Manager of Lifesaving, Dean Storey, has emphasised the importance of swimming at patrolled beaches, between the red and yellow flags.
"Don't put yourself or your family at risk these holidays. Take advantage of the many beaches which are patrolled by lifesaving services," Mr Storey said.
At the beach, follow these simple safety messages.
- Always swim between the red and yellow flags
- Read the safety signs
- Ask a lifesaver/lifeguard for safety advice
- Learn how to identify a rip
- If you need help, stay calm and attract attention
- Always wear a lifejacket while boating or rock-fishing
- If witnessing an in-water emergency call 000-Police
- Remember, if we can't see you, we can't save you.
For full details on which beaches are patrolled and patrol times (including over the winter months) go to Beachsafe, which is also available as an iPhone app.