Green the year ahead
LOOKING for ways to be clean and green for the year ahead?
Conservation group Planet Ark have come up with some simple and easy steps for people to environmentally savvy in '09.
They are asking people to visit the Green Resolutions page at PlanetArk.org and sign up to receive 52 Green Resolutions for the 52 weeks of the year.
The eco tips and tricks will be emailed weekly and will focus on the environmental benefits of simple actions.
Here is a sneak peak at some green tips for the year ahead:
- Resolve to recycle more.
- Recycling just one aluminium can saves enough energy to run a TV set for three hours.
- Resolve to plant more trees.
- Planting a single tree can result in the absorption of over one tonne of carbon dioxide throughout the life of the tree.
- Resolve to get outside away from the traffic and enjoy nature.
- Getting out into nature is the best way to get to know it, and when we know it we care for it. The Coffs Coast has a treasure trove of natural wonders to explore. Go and sit in your local park and watch the birds and insects. Have a picnic. Take a day trip to a national park for a bush walk, or simply relax on the beach. Or go camping for the weekend, a week or a month.
- Resolve to buy eco-friendly gifts or give something non-material to friends and family to reduce consumption and support sustainable production. Alternatively, consider giving your time or something immaterial such as a massage voucher, ticket to the football or theatre or a voucher for babysitting or decorating.
- Resolve to shop locally and buy locally produced goods to reduce overall contribution to greenhouse gas emissions.
- One way to achieve this resolution is to shop at your local farmers' or growers' market.