Baby bliss goes up in smoke with car

SHANE Ikin and his wife, Sam Marmont, have had the joy of a new baby boy soured by the theft and torching of their family car.

Shane and the couple's first son, Joshua, 3, were looking forward to collecting Sam and her newborn, Bailey, from Coffs Harbour hospital and bringing them home to Emerald Beach yesterday.

But all that changed when Shane woke up at 3am and noticed his downstairs light was on.

“I went down to see, and the back door was wide open,” he said.

“My keys, wallet and car were gone. I knew it was all over and I rang the police.”

The 1999 VT Commodore, which the family has only had for a year, was discovered yesterday morning burnt out at Hoys Road at Moonee.

Instead of bringing his wife and baby home in style, Shane, a mechanic, was forced to use his old work car.

Luckily, there was a spare capsule for Bailey, but Joshua had to miss out on the trip.

Thankfully, the Commodore was insured for $8000, but Shane says that's not the point.

Others items that went up in smoke were the seats fitted for both boys, along with Josh's toys, clothing, Shane's wallet, sunglasses, and even a collection of compact discs.

“Luckily, I'd already taken the pram out,” he told the Coffs Coast Advocate yesterday. • A MAN, 30, will face court on charges of trying to steal from a vehicle, possessing prohibited drugs and shoplifting.

Police were called to Vincent Street at 5.40am yesterday when a neighbour allegedly saw the man rifling through the contents of a car boot.



Bluebottles plague Coffs Coast beaches

Bluebottles plague Coffs Coast beaches

Influx seen at several beaches.

Rogue rooster ruffling feathers in Jackwood Grove

Rogue rooster ruffling feathers in Jackwood Grove

A rogue rooster is causing havoc in Boambee East.

Local Partners