AUSTRALIA'S contribution in the search efforts to locate missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has topped the $100 million mark.
Wreckage from the doomed airliner washed up last week on Reunion Island giving investigators their first solid lead since the plane went missing more than a year ago.
Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said the search would go on and he was confident they were looking in the right section of the Indian Ocean.
But he would not be drawn into how much each of the countries involved in the search were contributing.
"There are no real rules around what is a fair share," he said.
"The reality is that Malaysia has some responsibility as the flag carrier, Australia has some responsibility because it is in our search area and China has an interest because the majority of the passengers were Chinese.
"They have been cooperative but they are under no legal obligation to contribute to the financial costs of the operation."
Mr Truss said he was confident the fuselage would be located in the 120,000sq km search zone identified as the most likely crash site.
He said the operation would continue into the middle of next year given the scale of the search zone and the inhospitable conditions in the region.
"We are satisfied we have the technology which will pick up any aircraft wreckage if, in fact, we are searching in the right place," he said.
"We are confident that 120,000sq km covers the most prospective areas.
"Indeed, our expert advice has been that there is a 97% chance that it is in that 120,000sq km."
MH370 disappeared on March 6 last year while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, sparking one of the biggest aviation mysteries in history.
The 239 passengers and crew aboard the missing plane, including six Australians, were declared dead earlier this year.
- APN NEWSDESK.