Australia's role in Syria up to America, says Bishop
FOREIGN Minister Julie Bishop has rejected putting Australian troops in harm's way in Syria without a strong legal case, as the hunt for the mastermind behind the Paris attacks intensifies.
The manhunt for those linked to the attacks which claimed 129 lives last week turned to a 27-year-old Belgian man believed to have masterminded the events.
Raids across France and Belgium on Monday (local time) are continuing as police investigate the role Abdelhamid Abaaoud may have played in the attack.
Abaaoud, local media reported, was the strongest lead investigators had as the man possibly behind the terrorism attack.
Police reportedly believe he is now in Syria after they raided a local IS cell he was understood to be involved with.
As French President Francois Hollande promised more air strikes against IS in Syria, United States President Barack Obama ruled out committing any significant ground troops.
President Obama was preparing to meet Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, with the pair attending the APEC summit in the Philippines, which has been dominated by side talks on Syria and the global response.
But despite calls from former Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Tuesday to do more, Ms Bishop rejected "unilateral action" without US backing.
Ms Bishop said Australia would consider any requests from Coalition forces in a "measured way", but any greater action needed to be within international laws.
Griffith University terrorism expert Professor Andrew O'Neil has said action to send US ground troops would likely face significant domestic opposition after the mass American casualties in the Iraq War.