Warriors in more trouble
By BRAD GREENSHIELDS
AFTER only one round of the Group 2 season, the future of the Gimbisi Valley Warriors is already under a cloud.
A a special meeting of the executive to be held at Nambucca Heads on Saturday morning could be the first nail in the Warriors' coffin.
The meeting will hear reports from all parties concerned in Sunday's match at Advocate Park when the match between Coffs Harbour and Gimbisi was called to an abrupt halt by the referee 12 minutes short of the scheduled full time hooter due to tensions which had developed between the two sides.
The Warriors' were admitted into the 2006 competition after an 18-10 vote by delegates at last year's Group 2 annual general meeting.
Conditions of a good behaviour bond placed on the Warriors by the Country Rugby League as part of their ruling to re-admit the club to Group 2 last year is still hanging over their head throughout the latest controversy.
Group 2 president Greg Mayhew says that while information has been coming to light since Sunday afternoon's incident packed match the management committee has still received very little as far as official information is concerned.
"We're still awaiting a report from the referee Faron Nelson and from both the Coffs Harbour and Gimbisi clubs," he said yesterday.
"We've received already a report from one of the touch judges but at this stage we've set aside a time on Saturday for a meeting and for all reports to be heard."
A similar meeting was held last season after a match between the Warriors and Port Macquarie was also halted before full time.
The group also called a special meeting to discuss incidents which occurred in a match between Gimbisi and Sawtell last year, concerning allegations of crowd disturbances. "We need to see what the game on Sunday was all about," Mayhew added.
"At this stage everything points towards the Gimbisi Warriors but we're not in any sort of position to lay any blame."
If the allegations are found proven then a decision to suspend the Warriors from the 2006 competition then becomes a distinct possibility as their future would lie in the hands of the other eight clubs.
The ramifications of such a decision could be enormous as far as the competition draw is concerned.
Following the withdrawal of Bellinger-Valley Dorrigo due to a shortage of players the situation could arise where clubs will face four byes in an 18-round season.
"That's if worse comes to worse, I'm not even thinking about that at the moment," the president said.
"I'm actually thinking that common sense will prevail but we'll get to the bottom of it on Saturday."