Picking a winning line
PICK-UP lines rarely work.
Ask any female and she'll tell you that pick-up lines are a bad way to meet women.
But you do need to start somewhere, and for better or worse, anything you say will come across as a pick-up line.
Today's Coffs Cup is often described as the 'social event of the year' for Coffs Harbour, with there being many opportunities to try out your best ? or worst ? line to attract that person who catches your eye.
And while the opening line is the first step in breaking the ice, make sure that there is a half-decent follow through otherwise the girl in question will be quickly looking over your shoulder for other prospects.
And if your mind is blank when it comes to an opening pick-up line, here's our Top 10 of the 'best' (don't blame us, we didn't make these up!).
1. Hello. How are you?
2. Hi, what's your name?
3. Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk past again?
4. See my friend over there? He wants to know if you think I'm cute.
5. Apart from being sexy, what do you do for a living?
6. I love your outfit.
7. Mind if I flirt with you?
8. Excuse me, but I think it's time we met.
9. You are so beautiful that you give the sun a reason to shine.
10. You've made me so nervous that I've totally forgotten my standard pick-up line.
While you have to 'break the ice' somehow, there are some lines that should be avoided ? unless you prefer to die of embarrassment.
Here is a quick selection of perhaps the worst pick-up lines ? or, alternatively, if this works on you, you've had too much to drink.
1. That dress would look great on the floor next to my bed.
2. Say, did we go to different schools together?
3. Smile if you want to sleep with me.
4. Can I buy you a drink or do you just want the money?
5. Would you like Gin and Platonic or do you prefer Scotch and Sofa?
6. How about a pizza and a shag? What's wrong, don't you like pizza?
7. You have some nice jewellery. It would look great on my nightstand.
8. Would you like to have morning coffee with me?
9. Hi, I make more money than you can spend.
10. Should I call you in the morning or nudge you?
11. Come and sit on my lap, and we'll talk about the first thing that pops up.
12. You seem like the kinda girl who's heard every line in the book. So what's one more?
13. I'm on fire. Can I run through your sprinkler?
14. I'm new in town. Could you give me directions to your apartment?
And for pure cringe value, it doesn't get much worse than this: 'Was your father a thief? 'coz someone stole the stars from the sky to put in your eyes'.
Good luck at Coffs Cup today ? both on and off the track!